Monday, July 18, 2011

Friend who won't ever return romantic feelings?

I gotta say I’ve been in love with a guy friend for nearly 2 years. Maybe not in love, but crazy over him. I’ve accepted the fact that he probably won’t ever return those feelings back. I don’t think that I measure up *physically* to what he is looking for. And besides, we have already talked about us dating and I know it’s pretty much a dead end. Nonetheless, for most of the 2 years I’ve known him, we’ve been pretty good friends, talking nearly every night online or through text and whatnot. We have very candid conversations that go on for hours about nearly any topic. So I’ve obviously gotten to know him a bit. And I’ve gotten to know some of his flaws – like him being self-centered, self-important, shallow, vain, etc. I’ve expressed to him my thoughts about that on a couple of occasions, and he takes great offense in it and insists that he isn’t like that. He even stopped talking to me for a month. I confronted him about that, and he says that he doesn’t want to be friends with someone who thinks some “false things” about him. Well, I’m not going to apologize to him for what I think. But little does he know that the reason I’m so harsh to him (in my head and sometimes through our conversations) is because I’m trying to make myself believe that he isn’t worthy because I know I’ll never have him. He is in love with some beautiful chick named Laura. I know I can’t compare, despite me not being ugly or fat per se …. But I simply don’t stack up to this girl, she is drop dead gorgeous. He has gotten to know me and seen what I’m about, and it still has not had an effect on him (as in, “Hey this girl is pretty cool and she’s not bad-looking”). Yet he barely knows this girl but he drools over her because of how hot she is. I’ve known that he won’t ever like me like I like him, so my heart has put up some barriers, and have become overly critical of him. Truth is, he’s a decent guy but based on what he said to me a couple nights ago, he thinks that I think of him as this bad person or something. I don’t really think of him like that, and while I DO really think that he is vain, I’m OVERLY harsh on him because of my resentment of him not returning those feelings to me. Kind of like, if you can’t have ‘em then they *must* suck type of thing. Flawed thinking, I know, but it’s a defense mechanism. I don’t know what to do anymore. I’m considering just leaving things as they are (us not talking anymore), let him continue to think what he wants, and just move on with my life, with him being none the wiser of my underlying present feelings. Maybe I could truly get over him this way, instead of going a couple of months with the feelings surpressed and then realizing that I wasn’t really over it after all. What should I do? :(

No comments:

Post a Comment